In a recent press conference, Sony announced the PSP2, to be known as the NGP or Next Generation Portable.
With a slightly more oval-ish shape it should fit nicely into a gamer’s hands and the 5 inch touch sensitive OLED (organic light emitting diodes) screen should make the graphics come to life.
With new 3G connectivity in the device it will allow players to “connect” and “share” wherever they are.
Sony will be introducing “LiveAreaTM” can share their accomplishments with other players.
Something similar, called “Near” will provide location-based services and allow players to find out what their friends in the vicinity are playing.
The NGP will adopt a new game medium, which is big change from the UMD’s, a small, flash memory based card, which will allow developers to store much more information that on a UMD.
There will be cameras on the front and back of the device, along with 3 motion sensors. A gyroscope, accelerometer and an electronic compass.
The new “Playstation Suite” will be released for Android, to release newly developed content for Android based devices.
*Drumroll* ……………..what you’ve all been waiting for ladies and gentlemen! Dual Analog Sticks!!
To be released at the end of this year.
The all important specs (to be honest I don’t know what most of them mean, but here they are):
- CPU: ARM® CortexTM-A9 core (4 core)
- External Dimensions: Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth)
- Screen: 5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED – Multi touch screen (capacitive type)
- Rear touch pad: Multi touch pad (capacitive type)
- Cameras: Front camera, Rear camera
- Sound: Built-in stereo speakers, built-in microphone<
- Sensors: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), three-axis electronic compass<
- Location: Built-in GPS, Wi-Fi location service support
- Keys / Switches: PS button, Power button, Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left), Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), Shoulder buttons (Right/Left), Right stick, Left stick, START button, SELECT button, Volume buttons (+/-)
- Wireless communications: Mobile network connectivity (3G), IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1×1)(Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode), Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR ?A2DP/AVRCP/HSP