What's in Store? - Come take a look - Click Here
Round Table - Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil Edition - Click Here
Get Fit - With Gadgets - Click Here
Review - Counterspy - Click Here
Time to Unbox - Another Games Conference - Click Here
Review - OlliOlli - Click Here
SOCIAL - All the ways to keep up to date - Click Here
Review - Metro Redux - Click Here

Being a part of Midlife Gamer could not be simpler.

Register and start contributing now!

Login

Forum

You must be logged in to post

Minimum search word length is 4 characters – Maximum search word length is 84 characters
Wildcard Usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Tough Mudder 2014

UserPost

19:39
Nov 5th 2013

JayceStokes

Dudley

Ep 65: Boingy boingy

posts 242

Good times Wayne. I haven't signed up yet due to a certain console launch threatening to eat my moneys.

I'll get my name down asap though. smile

10:14
Jan 21st 2014

guernica2

Royal Berkshire

Ep 25: Hotdog Surprise

posts 1118

Right, here's where I'm standing at the moment.

Spoke to a friend over Christmas who has entered the Henley Tough Mudder in April. 

"That'd be a good warmup for the one in Northampton" I thought.

I hadn't really started running properly at that point and I recently saw a poster advertising a local half marathon on my birthday in March.  So I entered and got my new 'barefoot' running shoes on and started to train.

Running on the balls of my feet is not something I'm used to, and after running I could feel my calves getting really tight.  I really like the shorter stride pattern and being lighter on my feet with the barefoot running, but my calf muscles definitely weren't liking it, no matter how much I tried to stretch them.

Four sessions into my training, on the final straight when I was feeling really good, I felt my left calf ping. Not only could I not finish the run, I could only just walk!

No running or cycling for ten days while I rested, but last night I managed to put nearly four miles in and it felt good.  I've reverted back to my standard running trainers, albeit with a mid foot strike instead of my old heel strike.

Done some more reading on barefoot running and some suggest doing shorter training runs in them to get used to it so I'm now going to be mixing up my footwear to ease myself into it.

By July I should be raring to go! thumbs-up

"Just when I thought I was out…they pull me back in."

21:50
Jan 23rd 2014

JayceStokes

Dudley

posts 242

I suffer from tight calves from running aswell Wayne. I dont help myself as I never stretch prior to a run!

I had a calf "ping" right at the 9km point of a 10K in cardiff last year. Really messed up my time that did!

Anyway, I have yet to enter the TM for northampton, but I will do soon. I have started my 2014 running and health kick, to lose the lazy chrimbo fat layers.

We are still doing this! 

04:56
Jan 24th 2014

guernica2

Royal Berkshire

posts 1118

Good man.  It really is kicking me into shape this year.

I'm going to enter a local 10k at the beginning of March, just to get used to the whole 'event' side of things, before the half marathon.  I'm still taking it slowly and have never been a fast runner anyway, but am wondering if I could beat my PB for 5K with my new running regime.  I always wanted to go sub 20 minutes.  Never got below 24!

Like they say, a journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step. wink

22:01
Apr 7th 2014

Wizcod

Ep 94: Spray on pants

posts 27

Good Luck guys.

I'm supposed to be doing the Winchester one (London South) in October with some guys from work so I will be iterested to see how you all get on.

13:45
Apr 8th 2014

Baron Von Pleb

Sheffield Sex City

Community Manager

posts 978

guernica2 said:

There's two next year.

One in Henley, 26th or 27th of April and one in Northamptonshire at the end of July.

I'm thinking the April one, but let me know your thoughts.

Are you guys still thinking of doing the April one?

Gamertags: Xbox 'Baron Von Pleb' and PSN 'BaronVonPleb'

Twitch: baron_von_pleb

Twitter: BaronVonPleb

Gimme a shout if you need a hand with owt. 

22:36
Apr 8th 2014

JayceStokes

Dudley

posts 242

Baron Von Pleb said:

guernica2 said:

There's two next year.

One in Henley, 26th or 27th of April and one in Northamptonshire at the end of July.

I'm thinking the April one, but let me know your thoughts.

Are you guys still thinking of doing the April one?

Nah its the Northampton one in July we're going for I believe.

Wayne whats the team name so i can enter and get the same start time?

05:28
Apr 9th 2014

guernica2

Royal Berkshire

posts 1118

Saturday 12th July. 10:00.

Team name Midlife Gamer, password '50pence'.  I can send email invites if that's easier.

Just wrote out a large post which got dumped, so I'll have to write it again later.  I'm going to be late for work if I type it out again! embarassed 

21:04
May 27th 2014

BeanEdge

Rutland and Fenland. In the UK

Ep 91: Old Spice

posts 43

Post edited 20:24 – May 28th 2014 by BeanEdge

Hi guys, I'd like some advice about this event if you could please?

Due to situations beyond my control I may now be able to join you on this adventure. I know I'm a bit late to the party so the entrance fee has risen but I'm not fussed about that. I may also have to clear it with work to get the time off but that should be a minor hurdle.

I've been hitting the gym for last 6 weeks. Been doing cardio on the cross trainer and bike followed by some resistance work. I've also done a few spinning classes. My fitness has risen considerably but this event seems a whole other level. I'm not a keen runner but would hitting the treadmill put me in a better position than just cycling in the gym?

How many have you got signed up? I've not managed to attend any Eurogamer events so far so I think this would be a top way to get to meet some of you guys.

What sort of clothes would you recommend? I've had a look on the Tough Mudder site but as I need to buy kit to do this I thought I may as well ask. Most importantly what sort of trainers would you recommend?

I think that will do for now, any advice would be greatly appreciated. thumbs-up

19:52
May 29th 2014

guernica2

Royal Berkshire

posts 1118

Hey man, good to see that you've been hitting the gym.

This whole thing started as drunken conversation in a fried chicken shop at the last Eurogamer.  There were a few people interested, but as you probably know, real life ends up getting on the way.

When I last spoke to Jayce at Rezzed, he was still up for it, but as it currently stands, I'll be doing it solo, which isn't a bad thing.  Like I said, I'm never going to hold everyone accountable to whether they said they'd do it or not.  It's just a bit of fun!

I'm certainly the most 'normal' of the MLG crew, and if it's something that you feel like trying, then I'm behind you 100%.  We never leave a man behind.  The old Left 4 Dead rules still apply! wink

I'm probably planning to wear Lycra, although I was going to ask Jayce what he wore.  We're going to get wet, so something that'll not hold the water would be good.

I like a good challenge, and this seems up there with the best.

If it tickles your fancy, sign up and let me know.  We'll deal with the rest on the day! smile

11:51
Jun 9th 2014

BeanEdge

Rutland and Fenland. In the UK

Ep 91: Old Spice

posts 43

Nice one, thanks guernica2. Here's where I am at the moment… The sign up is over 90% full so I need to crack on if I'm gonna sign up. The problem I have is that we have a lack of staff at work to cover. I will see how it pans out and if I can get in on this then I will let you know. 

07:50
Jul 13th 2014

guernica2

Royal Berkshire

posts 1118

From a drunken meet up in a fried chicken shop at Eurogamer, to one of the most funs days out I've ever had.

I know we couldn't raise an Midlife Gamer team in the end, due to weddings, relocations and other real life dramas going on, but I just wanted to thank everyone for giving me the little push I needed to take part in Tough Mudder.

I was all ready to do my solo run, when I got adopted by a team of four young ladies and a chap.  There was a real camaraderie out on the course not only with our team, but with everyone taking part.

Feeling a little stiff today, but I think I over estimated the training I'd been doing.  I certainly didn't need to have run that half marathon recently!  Still, it held me in good stead and one of the girls said that I certainly helped her to get round.

I'm up for another one if anyone's interested. wink

17:47
Jul 15th 2014

guernica2

Royal Berkshire

posts 1118

Winchester, 25th October 2014.

It's on the cards. kiss

23:31
Jul 16th 2014

Wizcod

posts 27

I'm think I will be doing Winchester but can't get the guys I'm supposed to be running with to commit.

Have you signed up yet? What start time are you looking at? I am thinking 11 or earlier as the course will get quite cut up and muddy as the day goes on apparently.

04:59
Jul 17th 2014

guernica2

Royal Berkshire

posts 1118

Lol.  No one ever wants to commit! wink

I'm just getting a team together at the moment, and will be signing up over the next week.  The response from my friends has been very little, but the group I girls I ran the course with seem to have lots of interest on Facebook from their friends.  I think two of them may be doing it again.

You never know how many people will be there though, not until the day.

You can sign up now, then transfer yourself onto our team at a later date, unless your team comes together of course!

I went for an early start time for the last one, and got put out in the two o'clock wave.  I ended up going out in the one forty wave, but there was only one of me, so I didn't make much difference to their numbers.

Now I have more of an idea what is required, I'll be altering my training accordingly! thumbs-up

15:00
Jul 17th 2014

Wizcod

posts 27

What training do you recommend then?

I have been running about 20 to 30k per week off road (Mostly in the woods) for about 3 months but have not started any upper body yet.

I think I will join you if my team doesn't happen, thank you.

19:48
Jul 17th 2014

guernica2

Royal Berkshire

posts 1118

Definitely running, so you're off to a good start.  People can always help you over obstacles, but they can't do the running for you.

If you want to be able to get yourself up and over most things, I'd suggest some kind of plyometric training, along with hanging or climbing exercises.

I want to lose about a stone before the next one as well.  Will make the job a little easier! thumbs-up

06:42
Jul 19th 2014

guernica2

Royal Berkshire

posts 1118

Here's a couple more pics from the professionals dotted around the event, just to whet your appetite. thumbs-up

05:52
Aug 1st 2014

Wizcod

posts 27

I have signed up! I'm now wondering why on earth I'm doing this.

Has your team come together? I ended up with 3 in mine with a possible 4th still to join.
I've been an joined a gym for the next 3 months so all that's left to do is the hard work.

06:59
Aug 2nd 2014

guernica2

Royal Berkshire

posts 1118

Post edited 07:11 – Aug 2nd 2014 by guernica2

Good man.  I promise you that you won't regret it.

It'll give you a reason to get out and train, and it's something to look forward to.

No, the team is still hasn't materialised yet, so you may end up with a possible 5th member! wink

What I will say though, is if you're coming back to the gym, or any exercise program, take it easy.  I had quite a harsh first four months of the year with injuries, especially from running.  Going at it too hard, as per usual!

Even with the program I've just started, I've managed groin strain this week, and the tendons in my elbows have taken quite a battering from the pull ups I've been doing.  Just ease yourself in, and I shall be doing the same when I head down to the gym in a bit.

Here's the link if you want to check out what I'm doing.  It seems to cover most of the bases, and I'll certainly be in better shape than I was for the last one.

http://www.leanitup.com/wotm-112013-prepare-body-battle-tough-mudder-training-plan/

09:38
Aug 17th 2014

Wizcod

posts 27

Your welcome to come and join us if your team is still not sorted. We are the Mudley Crew.

That looks like hardcore training you have got going on. I joined the local gym/sport centre a week ago and have started to train. I am going to die!!! At least I am in better shape than my friend who is doing it, he is stronger but turns a funny colour whenever he exerts himself.

I am going at the training Balls Deep this first fortnight whilst my wife and kids are away and I have the time. Next 2 weeks will be the test of my commitment as they come back in a couple of days and I will have to work to find the time.

14:52
Aug 18th 2014

guernica2

Royal Berkshire

posts 1118

Ooh, good man.  May take you up on that.  I may have a new recruit, but you never know until the day who is going to show up!

Was out in Cardiff on Saturday, and spent the evening in an 80s club with a load of Mudder finishers, as TM Gloucester was on.  Saw lots of sore looking bodies coming back at the M4 services on Sunday.  Lots of smiles though.

The training continues, although my holiday is going to whack a damper on proceedings.  I'll be trying to stay active whilst out there, but it's going to be tough! wink

06:25
Oct 15th 2014

guernica2

Royal Berkshire

posts 1118

Right, hope the training is going well.

I managed to get in a fair bit of running whilst I was in the States, so I'm feeling pretty good.

My friend has backed out with injury though, which I thought might happen, but then again, he doesn't strive to live by the motto.  GBD. wink

10:27
Oct 15th 2014

Wizcod

posts 27

Training is going ok I suppose, not getting the time I had hoped for. Been doing a lot of short runs and did 10k sub 45 last night so I think I will be ok only getting to the gym half an hour a week so that side of things will be pain!

What stat time did you get? I have 11 on the Saturday.

17:03
Oct 15th 2014

guernica2

Royal Berkshire

posts 1118

Good man, that's a great 10k time.

I have a 10:15 start time, but last time it was only a guide.  I may wait for 11 o'clock if you're ok with me joining your team?  How many people have you managed to round up and are still going?

17:46
Oct 15th 2014

Wizcod

posts 27

You are welcome to join us if you want to.
We have 5 but 1 may be trying to get an earlier start due to family. 2 of the others I haven't met before so it's not like you would be an outsider.
We are at really different levels of fitness so not sure how the team will work out. I have been panicking with 1 of the others all day about how much training we have not done. Do you know when the course comes out? I'm driving past the course on my way to the Bushey park 10k at the weekend so I will get a sneak peek.
how far do you have to travel to get there?

04:55
Oct 16th 2014

guernica2

Royal Berkshire

posts 1118

Post edited 04:55 – Oct 16th 2014 by guernica2

I was the same last time.  In fact, injury left me with little training last time so it was a worry when I turned up.

My advice is, don't worry about it.  Everybody gets everybody round in the end.  It's not a race and I certainly won't be speeding round.  All shapes and sizes attend.  I spent a good while last time helping people up Everest!

The girls I did it with last time realised they should have done more running, but then how many people train in soaking wet clothes covered in mud?

The course is massive, so you probably won't see much driving passed, unless it's completely flat and open, although there must be some natural water terrain down there somewhere.  I thought it came out a few days before the event, and it certainly is worthwhile taking a look to see which obstacles have been included, although you get a map at the start of the event!

I'll see if any of the girls are doing this one as well.

I'm a good 90 mins from the event, so it'll be another early start for me!!!

23:34
Oct 16th 2014

Scott Frabisna

Ep 81: How to look good naked

posts 87

Running through 12k of shit and jumping into big pools of icy water sounds like a big fucking mistake to me.

Good luck lads

04:45
Oct 17th 2014

guernica2

Royal Berkshire

posts 1118

12k? I think the last one was just under 12 miles! wink

08:03
Oct 17th 2014

Wizcod

posts 27

I know what you mean Scott, I have been thinking this is a mistake since about 5 minutes after I signed up! I am sure tha I will enjoy it on the day and be glad that I have done it at least once. We all need these stupid chalenges to look back on when we are lod and broken.

I think I am going to knock any further excercise on the head until after the event now. I'm supposed to be doing the Bushy Park 10K on Sunday but other than that I'm done. Been shattered all week and the one thing I do not want is to over train in the run up to the big day. I wish that I had managed to get the full distance done in training at least once but family life meant that it was not to be…..ah the joys of Mid Life.

About the Midlife Gamer Forum

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 90

Currently Online:
16 Guests

Currently Browsing this Topic:
1 Guest

Forum Stats:

Groups: 2
Forums: 8
Topics: 4066

Membership: