Can You Guess - What's Coming Next - Click Here
Review - Blood of the Werewolf - Click Here
Get Fit - With Gadgets - Click Here
What's in Store? - Come take a look - Click Here
Review - Blackguards - Click Here
Blast Processing - Episode 8 - Click Here
Review - Surge Deluxe - Click Here
SOCIAL - All the ways to keep up to date - Click Here

Being a part of Midlife Gamer could not be simpler.

Register and start contributing now!

Login

Forum

You must be logged in to post

Minimum search word length is 4 characters – Maximum search word length is 84 characters
Wildcard Usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Tough Mudder 2014

UserPost

09:43
Oct 2nd 2013

guernica2

Royal Berkshire

Ep 25: Hotdog Surprise

posts 1106

After the wonderful weekend that was Eurogamer, it transpired that a few of us maybe interested in following in the footsteps of the beautiful man Jayce Stokes and the Tough Mudder challenge that he completed this year.

I've checked the website and they have one in Henley and one in Northamptonshire lined up for next year.

Would anyone be interested in getting a team together?  It does look like a lot of fun and the earlier you enter, the cheaper it is! wink

"Just when I thought I was out…they pull me back in."

19:43
Oct 2nd 2013

duggydarko

plymouth

Ep 55: Boob physics

posts 290

Cant have Jayce lording it over me with that headband forever!!! Sign me up!

<a href="/forum/profile/

23:06
Oct 2nd 2013

JayceStokes

Dudley

Ep 65: Boingy boingy

posts 240

Yes, that's a grand total of four real men round these parts. smile

In all seriousness though, Tough Mudder is one of the best personal challenges i've undertaken in a very long time. The sense of fulfillment is hard to match. The only way it would be better is to bring a group of my gaming family along to share the pain and enjoyment.

If you feel you've got what it takes or would like to work towards being ready for it, post up smile 

04:57
Oct 3rd 2013

guernica2

Royal Berkshire

posts 1106

Good man Duggy. thumbs-up

Are you up for another one then Jayce?

I may need to swap my cycling shoes for some trainers and start pounding the streets.

18:34
Oct 4th 2013

JayceStokes

Dudley

posts 240

Im well up for it. Thinking of Cosplaying for the next one. To be honest, the level of fitness is secondary to the level of determination and teamwork

22:54
Oct 4th 2013

MantisMat

Admin

posts 1655

Ohhhh when does this happen?

09:09
Oct 5th 2013

guernica2

Royal Berkshire

posts 1106

There's two next year.

One in Henley, 26th or 27th of April and one in Northamptonshire at the end of July.

I'm thinking the April one, but let me know your thoughts.

I've asked numerous friends, and they all seem to turn down the offer.  Seems like a whole lot of fun to me!  thumbs-up

10:16
Oct 5th 2013

Hugo Rune

Retirement Home

MLGX Completionist
MLGX Completionist

posts 1750

MantisMat said:

Ohhhh when does this happen?

surprised Oh Matt if you did this I promise I will come and watch and if it's sponsored for charity you have my monies.

10:37
Oct 5th 2013

MantisMat

Admin

posts 1655

Would I have to "train" for it…. ?

18:23
Oct 5th 2013

guernica2

Royal Berkshire

posts 1106

You could train a bit but like Jayce said, it's more about teamwork and determination.
We'll carry you through it!
Are you in brother?

09:52
Oct 6th 2013

MantisMat

Admin

posts 1655

Do you know what…. I think I am in smile

11:38
Oct 6th 2013

Hugo Rune

Retirement Home

MLGX Completionist
MLGX Completionist

posts 1750

Deserves the full wording rather than the usual acronym…

What The Fuck!

surprisedsurprisedsurprised

11:57
Oct 6th 2013

MantisMat

Admin

posts 1655

I need a target to strive for and that looks like a great excuse to get all muddy with Wayne smile

12:05
Oct 6th 2013

Hugo Rune

Retirement Home

MLGX Completionist
MLGX Completionist

posts 1750

I am nothing if not a man of my word. Let me know where and when and I'll be there (TO WATCH!)

But if I drag my arse all the way down there and you're is a no show I will hunt you down and set fire to your nightie.

12:19
Oct 6th 2013

Uncle Fista

MLG Central, Staffordshire

Admin

posts 415

Hugo Rune said:

I am nothing if not a man of my word. Let me know where and when and I'll be there (TO WATCH!)

But if I drag my arse all the way down there and you're is a no show I will hunt you down and set fire to your nightie.

This +1000

I'll be there to cheer you all on wink

13:25
Oct 6th 2013

MantisMat

Admin

posts 1655

You sure we can't convince you to don a wet suit D and get filthy with me?

19:24
Oct 6th 2013

guernica2

Royal Berkshire

posts 1106

Post edited 19:26 – Oct 6th 2013 by guernica2

This is going to be bloody brilliant!

An event like this like give you more incentive to get out and put some training in.  Good man Matt. thumbs-up

Let me sort out the details and get back to you all! winkkiss

20:37
Oct 6th 2013

JayceStokes

Dudley

posts 240

Another one for the cause!! So happy!

Also I want to give a shout to Rob Mafia who did the TM yesterday. A fellow Orange headband wearing beast. Well done sir!!

07:05
Oct 11th 2013

huntervp

mysterious placed cardboard box

MLGX Completionist
MLGX Completionist

posts 916

so hang fire now we are doing it in April now ? and the bigger WTF matt has but his name down for the cause 

15:55
Oct 11th 2013

Baron Von Pleb

Sheffield Sex City

Community Manager

posts 965

Firstly – Matt. Do you know what you've signed yourself up to? This is a pretty hardcore event mate. You cant just turn up and walk through it. ITS GONNA KICK YOUR ARSE in soooo many places. But hey man, if you want to challenge yourself mental and physically… then.. Balls Deep my friend.

I, for one, will NOT be taking part as i am both very unfit and lacking stanima. I did the Three Peaks Challenge (All three UK highest Mountains in 24 hours) three years ago and i'm still trying to catch my breath.

Please supply us all with details. We could turn this into another event for Special Effect and sponser you guys. I will be joining Daren and Hugo on the sideline and cheers you guys on. GO TEAM!

Gamertags: Xbox 'Baron Von Pleb' and PSN 'BaronVonPleb'

Twitch: baron_von_pleb

Twitter: BaronVonPleb

Gimme a shout if you need a hand with owt. 

16:23
Oct 12th 2013

guernica2

Royal Berkshire

posts 1106

I think the general consensus is that we do the one in Northampton in July.  Gives us longer to prepare.  I'll let you all know when I sign up so we can get a team going.

I've got a slight problem with my leg at the moment, for which I'm on painkillers constantly.  I haven't had time to head to the doctor's yet as I'm heading to Egypt tomorrow, but if it's still giving trouble then I'll be hitting the doc's when I get home.

If it gets amputated then it may be a small set back, but we'll see what happens.

No retreat, no surrender! wink

12:56
Oct 13th 2013

Hugo Rune

Retirement Home

MLGX Completionist
MLGX Completionist

posts 1750

guernica2 said:

I think the general consensus is that we do the one in Northampton in July.  Gives us longer to prepare.  I'll let you all know when I sign up so we can get a team going.

I've got a slight problem with my leg at the moment, for which I'm on painkillers constantly.  I haven't had time to head to the doctor's yet as I'm heading to Egypt tomorrow, but if it's still giving trouble then I'll be hitting the doc's when I get home.

If it gets amputated then it may be a small set back, but we'll see what happens.

No retreat, no surrender! wink

Pill popping, jet setting, Gary Barlow loving mother fucker. You gotta love him.

20:58
Oct 17th 2013

DrunkRogue68

Teesside

Ep 47: 2 guys, 1 mic

posts 505

Tough Mudder!!!! Sounds like fun smile lol

10:25
Oct 19th 2013

JayceStokes

Dudley

posts 240

Is that you sticking your name down? smile

12:35
Oct 22nd 2013

guernica2

Royal Berkshire

posts 1106

I think he must be! wink

Right, my leg seems to be better so I'm getting off the bike and going to get a few sessions of running in to see how it fares.  As I haven't done any jogging for at least three years, I thought I'd try and change to one of these barefoot running styles, adopting a mid/front foot fall.  I used to do a lot of barefoot activity in my youth, so the change shouldn't be too hard.

Anyone got any experience with changing style/barefoot running?

IF all goes well this week I'll start signing up next week. thumbs-up

07:33
Oct 25th 2013

MantisMat

Admin

posts 1655

Hey Wayne, when you sign up – I'll do the same….. just realised that I can't really get out of this – nor do I want to x

15:17
Oct 26th 2013

JayceStokes

Dudley

posts 240

Wayne,

When i was in the army I used to run pretty flat footed. Never noticed it at the time but since i started running again a few years ago and really worked on a forefoot strike, the whole thing is just so much easier.Especially the hills, i love those smile

I haven't actually run once since tough mudder. Need to get some new shoes and get off my arse frown

09:22
Oct 29th 2013

guernica2

Royal Berkshire

posts 1106

Post edited 09:25 – Oct 29th 2013 by guernica2

Right, just signed up and created the Midlife Gamer team.  The password, if you need it, is '50pence'.

I went for Satudary 12th July in Northamptonshire so that we can grab a few beers afterwards.

Cost is £85 for the day with an extra tenner for something else.  Insurance or something!

I've just started the couch to 5K schedule, seeing as I'm trying to run differently, and should be able to get that up to 20K by the time we get to July.  I've got some great woodland round here that I'm going to get a few runs through, just for practice! thumbs-up

I can email invites to you if you'd prefer, just get your addresses down here.

20:24
Oct 31st 2013

MantisMat

Admin

posts 1655

Okay, I just watched a bunch of videos people took from this event last year… and I think it's just hitting me!!!

On that note, is there a way we can pool all of our efforts into a single pot… perhaps to give to our favorite Games Aid?

04:49
Nov 1st 2013

guernica2

Royal Berkshire

posts 1106

Post edited 06:09 – Nov 1st 2013 by

It'll be fine! wink

Like I said, it's something to train for which gives you the incentive to train a little harder and not miss a session when you're feeling a little down.

The charity they automatically raise money for on the site is Help for Heroes, which is a noble cause in itself,  but there's no reason why we can't sort out a Games Aid charity raiser.

My friend and I were trying to raise money last year for his niece after his brother passed away, but it was a little difficult to set something up without being a registered charity.

The Just Giving website should be able to hook us up with a web based donation page to go to Games Aid.  I'll have a look if I get some time over the weekend.

UPDATE:

Games Aid is on the Just Giving website, so it'll be no problem getting it sorted. thumbs-up

About the Midlife Gamer Forum

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 90

Currently Online:
12 Guests

Currently Browsing this Topic:
1 Guest

Forum Stats:

Groups: 2
Forums: 8
Topics: 4000