What's in Store? - Come take a look - Click Here
Round Table - Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil Edition - Click Here
Get Fit - With Gadgets - Click Here
Review - Counterspy - Click Here
Time to Unbox - Another Games Conference - Click Here
Review - OlliOlli - Click Here
SOCIAL - All the ways to keep up to date - Click Here
Review - Metro Redux - Click Here

Being a part of Midlife Gamer could not be simpler.

Register and start contributing now!

Login

Forum

You must be logged in to post

Minimum search word length is 4 characters – Maximum search word length is 84 characters
Wildcard Usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Midlife Gamer Comic Club – July 2013 – Wolverine

UserPost

23:16
Jul 5th 2013

Games247

Glasgow

Ep 59: Do the Bartman

posts 324

Welcome back to the Midlife Gamer Comic Club!

Its been a year since we set the first reading assignment and its been a year of ups and downs, my comic reading time has been drastically reduced (Damn you gainful employment!) but here we are and the plan is come back with a bang!

The selected book for this month is Frank Miller and Chris Claremont's Wolverine, this represents our first foray into the world of Marvel comics and comes at a good time as the next Wolverine movie is based on this story.

GoddTodd has highly praised this and being a man of impeccable taste, I trust his opinion!

For us Brits, Amazon have this on sale presently in hardback format but cheaper options may be available, see here for details: http://goo.gl/d7Ubz

I hope you enjoy our book and dont forget to come back here and spill your guts.

Yours in Comics,

Games247

#MLGComicClub

www.games247.co.uk

Twitter

02:55
Jul 6th 2013

currierox

Spalding, Lincolnshire

MLGX Completionist
MLGX Completionist

posts 403

There is also a paperback alternative if you want to save a few pounds/dollars. Currently sitting at £8.96 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolverine-Claremont-Miller-Graphic-Novel/dp/0785137246/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1

Lets bring this back with a bang rofl

http://gamercards.exophase.com/42906.png

17:31
Jul 6th 2013

GoddTodd

Emeryville, CA USA

Community Manager

posts 1411

Awesome! 

I look forward to re-reading this title. As a kid, I stopped reading comics because I thought they were corny and silly. 

My friend in 7th grade Junior High turned me onto this mini series saying, "This ain't kiddy shit. People get fucked up and killed in this. This dude with knives coming out of his hands is a total bad-ass!"

Wolverine had been around for awhile, but this 4 part series is what truly defined this character.

I hope you guys enjoy it.

http://gamercards.exophase.com/200772.pnghttp://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/a/GoddTodd.png

22:22
Jul 7th 2013

G-Squirrel

Ep 89: T********g

posts 50

I picked this up as part of the Marvel ultimate graphic novel collection – it's a new book every fortnight, £10 a pop. This one was released a good while ago now, so you can probably pick it up fairly cheaply on eBay. All the books in the series have a good introduction and some sketch art, covers etc. Not loads of extra material, but it sets the context of the book nicely and adds a little bit of value.

Great book – I'm looking forward to re-reading it smile

23:20
Jul 7th 2013

Games247

Glasgow

posts 324

Welcome aboard G-Squirrel.

Come back and give us your opinions once you finish re-reading!

#MLGComicClub

www.games247.co.uk

Twitter

02:52
Jul 8th 2013

GoddTodd

Emeryville, CA USA

Community Manager

posts 1411

I just finished the Kindle version. I paid $5.95 US for it. The two followup issues of the X-Men were a nice Brucie bonus.

While the X-Men books serve as decent book ends to the 4 part mini-series, it's rather jarring going from the adult, real world solo adventure, back into the younger skewed super hero fantasy world of the X-men story-line.

Wolverine was so much more vulnerable, both physically and emotionally, in the core books. I think that's what drew me to the character if the first place. He was this total bad-ass, but he wasn't untouchable.

I recall this series primarily as my introduction to Frank Miller, but I had forgotten just how integral Chris Claremont's writing was to the quality of this title. By today's standards, the artwork may seem a bit pedestrian, but Wolverine's narration is like pulp poetry. There's so many classic lines in this book like, "The bear lasted longer, but I let the man live." and of course Wolverine's trademark line, "I'm the best there is at what I do. And what I do…isn't very nice." As I mentioned before, Claremont also does an amazing job of bringing out a lot of human qualities in Logan, as well as giving him a lot more cultural depth. Claremont had been adding layers of complexity to Wolverine's character since he had started working on the X-Men book. His secret crush for Jean Grey, and his heartbreak over her death in the Dark Phoenix saga, pealed away many layers from his macho wisecracking facade.  The X-Men would be an obscure, failed book, if Claremont hadn't breathed life into it and treated his characters as if they were real living people with real world problems. 

While I may have said that Frank Miller's artwork may seem a bit pedestrian by today's standards, that remark may be a bit unfair. I think his style was toned down a bit by having his work inked by Joe Rubinstein, or maybe Miller hadn't really come into his own style yet. It's not until he works on Ronin a few years later that we start to see Frank Miler break out as an artistic maverick. But for it's time, these images were still quite provocative. This series was published around the final years of the comic book code, and it was a bit shocking for a "code" book to have a guy mowing through human being's with razor sharp claws. I think Claremont had to mediate the visual violence in one or two scenes by saying these guys who clearly been gutted, "Still lived", or mysteriously "disintegrated" as if they weren't really humans after all. That disintegration thing still perplexes me, because so far as I know, he never touches on it again. But Claremont was know for telling long stories and leaving lots of loose plot threads for future writers to build upon. Maybe that got explained sometime after I stopped reading Marvel Comics. 
When I thought of the Wolverine book over the years, the images of The Hand ambush attack come to mind first. That's why I nearly wet myself when I saw the new movie trailer earlier this year, but what really sticks with me after reading the book 25 years later, was that great moment after the fight in the zen garden. Logan looks upon the chaos he has wrought on this place of serenity.  He looks at it as the story of his life. Yukio, his lover, suggests that it's pointless to fight his animal nature, and to accept who he is. Mariko, his true love, want's him to find inner piece and become a better man. Shingen, his enemy, stole Logan's dreams of being human, by provoking him to fight like an animal in front of Mariko. Logan starts smoothing out the sand in the garden, and in this meditative act, he realizes that the difference between a man and an animal isn't their nature, but that man questions that nature and strives to dream, grow, change. It's not the about being a better person that makes you not an animal, it's the act of "trying". The act of striving to become better is what spiritually keeps us alive.

Pretty deep, eh?

I could blather on, but I leave some meat for everyone else to chew on. Looking forward to hearing what a modern first time reader makes of this comic. With edgy adult themed comics being commonplace these days, does this book still hold up to the modern reader?

http://gamercards.exophase.com/200772.pnghttp://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/a/GoddTodd.png

08:50
Jul 8th 2013

Games247

Glasgow

posts 324

Thats a bargain GoddTodd!

I have never tried to use my Kindle to read comics, I must give it a whirl some time.

#MLGComicClub

www.games247.co.uk

Twitter

16:35
Jul 8th 2013

GoddTodd

Emeryville, CA USA

Community Manager

posts 1411

Games247 said:

Thats a bargain GoddTodd!

I have never tried to use my Kindle to read comics, I must give it a whirl some time.

It's not too bad. You have a limited choice of either looking at the whole page or a mode that lets you go from panel to panel. I had no issues reading it full screen on my iPad, so I could take in the page as a whole.

21:42
Jul 14th 2013

gearyboy

Caldicot, S Wales

Ep 42: Pinball Wizard

posts 604

Late to the show on this one but finally ordered my copy of Wolverine today and looking forward to getting back into some reading smile

23:13
Jul 15th 2013

LETHAL_Gman

London

Ep 63: Fighter pilot's thumbs

posts 274

This is £5 on comixology. Just started reading, but so knackered last night I fell asleep after a couple of pages.

19:26
Jul 20th 2013

GoddTodd

Emeryville, CA USA

Community Manager

posts 1411

Quick poll, how many people read this back in the day, and how many people are reading this for the first time?

23:21
Jul 22nd 2013

gearyboy

Caldicot, S Wales

Ep 42: Pinball Wizard

posts 604

I read a helluva lot of Marvel back in the day but I'll be honest and say that this story passed me by.  Just received my paperback copy and a few pages in.  Will do it justice once this busy week is over smile

13:54
Jul 30th 2013

Games247

Glasgow

posts 324

Well – I read this while away on holiday so I will compile my thoughts and feelings about it before the end of the month.

Like MaGe1974, I read a lot of Marvel stuff growing up (mostly Spider-man) and did not know much about this until Goddtodd brought it to my attention so I had no ideal what to expect…..

#MLGComicClub

www.games247.co.uk

Twitter

21:25
Jul 30th 2013

LETHAL_Gman

London

Ep 63: Fighter pilot's thumbs

posts 274

I have to say that I wasn't overly impressed with this story and found it a little bit boring. No spoilers obviously, but I never got interested in the story and the artwork is very dated (not Frank Millers best work). Not a fan of Wolverine, but I can appreciate that this was a more mature take on his character than most of the comics he stars in.

Interested to read what you all thought of it.

About the Midlife Gamer Forum

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 90

Currently Online: munkimatt
18 Guests

Currently Browsing this Topic:
1 Guest

Forum Stats:

Groups: 2
Forums: 8
Topics: 4073

Membership: